You are looking at Wunderbar, a free-to-use, fast-loading, HTML5-validated Theme for WordPress 3.0 and later versions. It supports many of the new WordPress features like Post Formats, Custom Menus, Custom Headers and Custom Background Images — have a look at the options page.
Wunderbar is available in both English and German, has eight header images included (but feel free to use your own), comes in three different styles (Default, Blass and Sirup), and features four widget areas for easy drag’n'drop sidebar / footer customization.
It looks great in every major browser — freakin’ Internet Explorer included — and passed the official Theme Unit Test, which happens to be a series of posts and pages that match up with a checklist on the holy WordPress Codex to ensure all the formatting and image alignments are done right. Yay!
Everything again in bullet point form ¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯
- Lightweight, modern, responsive theme that loads incredibly fast
- 100% HTML5 W3C-compliant code (check for yourself)
- Translation-ready with ENG and GER included
- Post Formats: Link, Status, Image, Gallery, Quote, Aside
- 4 widget areas for easy customization
- 3 style variants: Default, Blass, Sirup
- 3 layouts: Two columns (left/right), one column
- Custom Menus, Headers and Backgrounds
- Dynamic Menu Highlighting / support for sub-pages
- Additional Right-to-Left alignment (experimental)
Download Wunderbar (WP 3.0+)
About the “lock-in effect”
Nowadays many WordPress themes lock their users in by providing “exclusive” features that work only with one particular theme. Once you switch to another theme parts of your site stop working! What the hell? Imagine you buy a new toothbrush, put it in the bathroom and all of a sudden the toilet is missing. Not cool at all. :/
Wunderbar does not lock you in: There are no fancy Custom Widgets, Shortcodes or pre-defined Custom Post Types which dematerialize as soon as you switch themes — Wunderbar uses what is provided by WordPress itself (like Core Widgets, Custom Menus etc.). If you need any other features: Use plugins! Future-You will love you for it. :)